Monday 23 November 2015

The Politics of ISIS and Syria . . . . . and other things





As we all know the terrorist incident in Paris continues to be one of the main stories that crops up on the news. Now I was listening to the Today Programme on BBC Radio Four as I lay in bed this morning thinking to myself that appears to be an awful lot of frost outside I wonder how long I can hide in bed. Anyway as I was listening to them discussing what the government would like to do to assist in the battle against IS ISIS ISIL I thought to myself that the chap talking was sort of missing a few points that were rather important. You see he seemed to me to be trying to simplify the whole thing down to the following.

Us in Britain along with France the USA and the other counties of the coalition send our air force on mass to Syria and Iraq bomb ISIS to bits and all will be well and the present president of Syria will then smile and retire off to Russia and an all new Western friendly leader will be put into place and everyone will live in peace. . . . . .

Well I think we are talking fairy land if any government seriously thinks that is what will happen. I mean this in many ways was what was meant to happen in Iraq when the coalition forces left Iraq after they defeated Saddam Hussein. And the political vacuum in Iraq is partly responsible for the rise of ISIS. They (ISIS) have then used the chaos of the conflict in Syria to move into that country also; they did not create it. The problem is it may be possible to destroy them as a group but it will not solve the issues of the Middle East. The various main stream religious groups there are becoming more polarized and the destruction of ISIS is only going to lead to other issues and groups who will fill any political vacuums.

I suspect what the Western governments might be hoping is that they can destroy ISIS and then retreat sharpish  hoping that they can then wash their hands of any involvement as it will not effect them.  I think this is a very foolish idea indeed and if history tells us one thing it is that it all tends to end in a greater mess than it started.




OOOOOOooooooo I made an outdoor Christmas Fairy today using a plastic milk carton and also made two paper chains. . . . . It is good to have the opportunity to do some home-made Christmas stuff.    

10 comments:

  1. We need you in government instead of those idiots who are only shoring up the missile manufacturers ... grrrr don't get me started ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the events of this morning with the Russian jet being destroyed and then the shooting of the crew as they parachuted clear just shows how these things can escalate out of control. I think the Middle East could get very scary indeed.

      Delete
  2. I think you would like our business. We manufacture a wide variety of hand made gift items for all the seasons and holidays, both interior and exterior decorations. One of the new items we are doing is making snowmen by filling socks with rice. We incorporate vinyl lettering and designs onto pieces. My wife just finished the first installment for decorating the exterior entryway of a home for a customer. She will change out pieces for different seasons and holidays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Parisian economy and community depends on travel and vacation and nightlife, so it needs to get back to its old self soon.

      Delete
    2. I think Paris will return to a degree of normality. But I cant help but think mankind is starting to self destruct in slow motion. Folk need to remember its just one small planet and needs all the help it can get.

      I have to say you and your wife are very entrepreneurial (Oooo spell checkers are useful).

      Strangely my daughter was talking about snowmen made from socks filled with rice the other day. . . Good luck with it all.

      Delete
    3. I suggested using my old (clean) socks to give a more realistic 'dirty snow' snow man, but the wife wisely said, "No!!!!".

      Delete
    4. I think women tend to prefer new socks for such things.

      An ideal thing to make when you have a foot of snow outside. . . . . HAH AH ah aha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha h aha ha ha ha ah a ha

      Delete
    5. I will try again, it just lost my comment right in the middle of typing. Wow, it is really acting strange today, thought it just messed up again.

      I had built a picture with letters for toes:

      ahahahahAH HAhahahaha

      to represent my sockless toes with the socks dedicated to artificial riceinsock snowmen.

      Speaking of toes, I got a brand new pair of Vibram FiveFingers shoes yesterday. As they are a discontinued model that hasn't been available for quite some time, I may be one of the last people to ever put on a brand new pair of Komodo Sport Vibrams. They are my favorite kind of Vibram FF shoes and I was quite disappointed that are no longer produced. I have been wearing Vibram FF shoes for almost 5 years, Feb 2016 will be 5 years. I did it with mainly 4 pair of shoes. I have not heard my wifes comments yet about the new pair. She is bound to say something about them having some green on them.

      Delete
    6. It is strange how you can find something you really like and then it suddenly vanishes. I remember finding a mass production fish pie like that once. It was the best bought fish pie I had ever had then one day they just stopped making them.

      You will have to save your Komodo Sport Vibrams for special occasions such as Christmas birthdays and days that go rather well. This way they will last a bit longer and only be associated with good things.

      Delete
    7. I need to go to other stores far away that have Vibrams to see which other new model that I might like.

      Delete