Wednesday 2 September 2015

William Wordsworth's less known Poem about Zombies





We all know that William Wordsworth was a bit of a poet, but it appears he missed out poetry about Zombies. I am sure he meant to write at least one poem about them but was probably advised against the idea by his publishers, who as with most publishers like to play safe and only publish nice safe poetry edited to death about say daffodils. So I think it is time for History to put things right with William Wordsworth’s famous . . . . . A host of Groaning Daffodils (sorry Zombies)  


They staggered groaning very loud
Chasing folk across o'er vales and hill
When all at once I knew it was a crowd
A host of gory zombies that kill;
Beside the lake, beneath the trees,
Stuttering and dancing as they sneeze

Werewolves howling as the full moon shines
Witches sniggering getting in the way
Zombies stretch'd in never-ending lines
Along the margin of a bay:
Ten thousand saw I at a glance,
Tossing their heads in sprightly dance

The Witches waving their wands; but they
Where Attacked by the Zombies with much glee:
A poet could not but shout out and say
In such a jocund company:
Look Out – Look Out – But I had not thought
The Zombies think pudding I had brought

For oft, when on my couch I lie
In vacant or in pensive mood,
Those Zombies flash upon that inward eye
Which is the bliss of solitude;
And then my heart with pleasure fills,
And dances with Monstrous Zombie thrills


The END

2 comments:

  1. Wasn't this originally titled, 'I wandered slowly as one of the un-dead?'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well it certainly has turned the Blog into one of the undead. . . . Either folk love William Wordsworth and I have gone one step too far. Or Culture has taken a turn for the worse and the poets of yesteryear are a bit like the Kiss of Death (something I need to write a little story about)

      Delete