Friday 17 July 2015

The Mighty God of the Sky, A slice of Bread and a Huge Beast.



I was eating my evening meal, a quiche with fried potatoes and salad followed by raspberry crumble and double cream and looking out of the window. We have very large windows this house is the lightest house (as in light rather than not heavy) I have ever lived in.  And as I looked out over the horizon there appeared a huge dragon like beast with eyes and pointy teeth and wings. It was all blue and grey and huge I mean really huge filling a fair bit of the sky and getting bigger all the time. Anyway I got distracted by my food for a minute or two as I pondered which slice of bread to eat. 

Looking back out of the window I was then shocked to see the large beast with its pointy teeth and wings had vanished and the sky was now full of nothing but a big blue grey cloud drifting eastwards in a cloud like manner. . . . Well that was mighty odd indeed.

But it got me into thinking about stuff in the sky, we don’t really have the same link with the sky like our ancestors did going back in time. I mean it was how humans managed to navigate all over the world looking at the stars in the sky and watching the sun and stuff like that. And then going back at least 2000 to 3000 years plus ago humans would make huge great stone circles to celebrate the Sun arriving in the morning and then very conveniently vanishing in the evening so that folk could have a sleep. Yes these were the Suns glory days when it was treated like a God.  Although the Sun still goes round and round the Earth (Yes Yes I know Bloody science has ruined that theory well and proper) giving us a nice confidently length, twenty four hour day (Phew that is lucky) no one goes out and leaps about at it calling it a God. . . . . OK not entirely true there are folk who go and wave at the Sun but they are a bit of a mixed bunch to say the least.


Maybe a few more stone circles and chanting might just help the Sun regain its pride and show up in a bit more of a God like way, that would be much appreciated around here. 

4 comments:

  1. Well, I am one of those mixed bunch :)

    Seriously though Ron, how did they (my ancestors and yours) do it? The Mighty old Sun, the Stars, the sky, wind, sea, a wooden ship.... and they went exploring and drew those amazing maps which still hold good.

    Hey, why not do a series of posts on .these explorations?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an interesting idea Neer I might try a little story based on that.

      Is there a subtle hint that I may have spent too much time writing Harry Potter based Poetry on my Blog. . . . . :) thanks for calling by. Keep well

      Delete
  2. There are people who still worship the Sun. I believe these people hail from Essex.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had forgotten about them. I dont think it gives the Sun good street cred among the Gods though.

      Delete