Monday 8 June 2015

Einstein, The Theory of Relativity, Chaos Theory and a Chicken



While listening to the wireless this morning there was a little article on about Einstein who as we all know was a clever chap. I did not hear all of what they were saying because it was before 9.00am and far too early for me to focus on Einstein or even the cat at that time of the morning.  Anyway I sort of heard someone say something about how his theory of relativity resulted in a rational structured model of the Universe.

Well it was that statement that finally woke me up, well when I say woke I grunted and sort of pored tea into myself and waved at a terrible blinding light, which turned out to be a bed side light.  You see saying the Universe is structured and rational fails to take into account something rather important and that is time.  OK yes I know what you are thinking, saying Einstein has not thought about time is like saying the Chicken has never thought about crossing the road.

But the key point is not so much time, but the rate at which time passes or the time, time takes to pass. Think of a car crash if you slow it down so that the few seconds it takes can be watched over a period of several hours then it becomes a predictable event. We can watch things fly about hit one another and predict the outcome.  Well the Universe is basically a car crash in slow motion, our own life span is so short relatively, that we only see a tiny fraction of the event and it all looks rather structured.  If it was speeded up millions of times it would just appear to be a rather chaotic and disorganized fireworks display.


So consider the following options

If I was to say the Earth will be destroyed in ten million years folk would say Gosh well that’s OK and carry on without a worry.

If I then said the Earth will be destroyed in one thousand years folk would say well that’s not long is it, but hey I’ll be OK.

If you tell folk the Earth will be destroyed in one day’s time folk will run about panicking and eating ice cream.

You see it is not the event that is scary but the timing, tell a Mayfly the Earth has only one day left and he will say that’s an entire lifetime, Phew that is lucky for me.  It is a known fact that Andromeda and the Milky Way will collide in about four billion years and that the moon is moving away from earth at about two inches a year and will one day vanish off and cause chaos in our own solar system. Plus the sun is due to become a Red Dwarf and will swallow the earth up. You see the Universe is just Chaos theory in slow motion so when I heard that Einstein’s Theory of Relativity was been used to suggest the Universe was structured I thought Noooooooooooooooo the Universe is chaos. . . . Well mine is most of the time.


Anyway don’t panic the Earth will not be destroyed for at least a few more weeks yet so there is loads of time . . . . AH well a bit of time and as I have already said time is entirely an abstract idea.

10 comments:

  1. Speaking time being abstract - Mrs H asked me following question this evening, out of the he blue!

    " What are doing for Christmas?"

    She's not right in the head that one! Not right at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry. Missed a whole word in that last comment.

      What are WE doing for Christmas... Is what she asked.

      I had to leave the room when she asked that!

      Delete
    2. Sorry. Missed a whole word in that last comment.

      What are WE doing for Christmas... Is what she asked.

      I had to leave the room when she asked that!

      Delete
    3. Ah Science Mr H I knew you would never be able to resist it. As for the missing words they have been added by my brain. Brains do that they correct stuff which is why we miss the fact we missed the word in the first place. Einstein knew that and so came up with a theory about it implying that the words had fallen through a black hole and were in a parallel universe.

      Has Mrs H got plans for Christmas maybe time is running faster than I thought or they are huge plans involving lots of money and glittering lights.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, that was very interesting Mr Z and I wasn't even a bit confused. Pity it will all leave my head as soon as I blink. But time is indeed asbtract. I remember watching 'Songs Of Praise' when I was a kid and each episode seemed to last a year and a half, when it was in fact only 35 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that feeling I too had to watch it, I cant remember why though. Time is like that it is not fixed that's why folk in accidents say everything happens in slow motion, their minds think super fast to deal with what is happening. And it is the reverse when watching Songs of Praise unless you are keen on it, which I am told some folk are. . . .

      Delete
  3. I think 'rational' is just a code word for rats who make ions from Aluminium.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are clever beasts and I would not put it past them to do such things. . . . But one needs to ask why . . . . . . .

      Delete
    2. Did you like it that I spelled Aluminium wrong just for you?

      Delete
    3. I know it starts with A and then I'm winging it . . . . but the thing is us British pronounce aluminium entirely differently to Americans so maybe we have entirely different spelling too. . . . I should check such things but I am having issues with water pipes in the kitchen and how to get kitchen units round them.

      Delete