Sunday 22 June 2014

The Curse of Cars

Yes its a Man and a Fish and has no link whatsoever to the words 
but they do this in ads on the television all the time so it must be OK.



Yesterday was the longest day as in loads of sunlight and it was still hot, it was also a long day indeed as we went out in the evening to have a curry with our good friends Mr Charlie and Miss Jane.  This was grand and I even had something new after a very long time of having the same curry. As always we were the last to leave, we are always the last to leave, even when we all turned up earlier than normal to avoid being the last to leave.

We waved Mr Charlie and Jane farewell and set off into the sunset (night) in our trusty Fiat. However about halfway home one of the front tyres sort of gave up and fell apart, Not sure why but one minute we are driving along all chilled and the next the car is rattling along like it has a square wheel.  But its OK we can fit the spare or phone the nice man at the RAC if all else fails, only it turns out the spare wheel release mechanism is dead, we have since found out this is common on this car and folk are advised to keep the spare in the back.. . . . O DEAR . . .  OK then phone the nice RAC man only it appears the mobile phone battery it too low to make a phone call and it is now 11.00pm on a dark road with no one about.

So we decide to limp along the road for a bit, luckily we had a lead to charge the phone so after a bit we were able to phone the nice RAC man who did have to drive for almost an hour to get to us . . . . The joy of life in the country.

Anyway we arrived back home just after midnight on the back of a large tow truck, so it did turn into a very long day indeed.


So we now have a three legged car and we (not the car) will be heading off tomorrow to attempt to fix our beast as it appears to have a few problems and is bleeping at us.  It is not quite the old faithful machine it used to be in the old days.   

14 comments:

  1. I think that car of yours is trying to tell you something.... not sure what but I remember Herbie the Love bug refused to go anywhere when there was danger about.
    Maybe it saved your life.
    Or maybe it's old and knackered like me. hahahaha.

    I missed the longest day of the year because I sneaked a lie in... in.
    Once I crawled out of bed and did all my jobs it had become the shortest day as I ran out of time do anything special.

    Also I cut my thumb trying to start a fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its Monday now and I am running out of steam a bit.

      You are right about the car, who can tell what might have happened had the incident not taken place.

      Who can tell maybe if I had bought that ice cream in 1973, the seagull would never have hit the little old lady, who would not of fallen into the sea. landing on the fisherman under the pier. then the ambulance would not have got stuck in the sand, battering the pier as the tide rose weakening the pier support leading to its sudden collapse, Leading to the closure of every pier in Britain and the subsequent ruin of many seaside businesses. Meaning that the italian ice cream maker from Blackpool would never have returned to Italy to get a job at Fiat which he hated and if he had just fitted that track rod end a bit better then I would never have had a ruined tyre allowing me to get home without the delay where a runaway mountain goat would have attacked me.

      Its a funny old world

      Delete
  2. Hey Mr. R,

    I wish I could keep up with blogsville, sadly, I aint got a clone.

    Sorry about your Fart, sorry, Fiat problems. Perhaps, after it gets fixed, it will the car you remembered.

    Hope you enjoyed you Sunday, good sir.

    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fiats are fickle beasts. . . but I like my car (sort of)

      Sunday was good
      Monday has been expensive but the fiat is happier.

      Delete
  3. I try to keep veRy good tires on my vehicles so they have fewer self destructions. I also keep a 12 V air compressor for those times I have had minor leaks. I do have a problem keeping air pumps in my wife's vehicle, they keep disappearing. I also lost a 12V to 110V invertor out of the same vehicle, so I am thinking it may have been a former employee, as this same person "misplaced" my expensive coffee cup from my office which I luckily found in the dumpster in the alleyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do have a small 12v compressor but it would have not helped in this case it was one very badly trashed tyre.

      That former employee has given you a lot of grief, but here in cyberspace we know you are a nice chap, and sooner or later the banshees will get them. The incident with your posh coffee mug says much about them.

      Delete
  4. And that is why I am so thankful that I acquired the superhuman ability to fly. Why I hardly ever even bother with the car anymore, it's so much simpler to zoom about defying the laws of physics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do appear to have a lot of flies in the house at present, they seem to like the heat, and I am too hot to chase them.

      Good luck with the flying. . .do you have an emergency exit . . . . NO hang on I may not wish to know that.

      Delete
  5. First your feet went on strike, now it's your car. You must be a terrible boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am but sadly it is only me who works for me. . . . and I won't let myself even have tea breaks. . . . . . We lost the cat last night too but I had accidently locked him in a cupboard. He was not entirely happy this morning.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like your car was trying to make the longest day even longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did a remarkably good job of it too and now I am £150 pound poorer as both front tyres needed to be changed.

      Delete
  7. Don't you hate when you truly need your cell phone and it's dead. Sure, if you want to play on FB it's all charged but really need it and it's no good. Glad you made it home safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. . .. Even today a few days later the car is back at the garage having stuff done as a result of the blowout. . . but it should be all Hunky Dory in about another hour (I hope)

      Delete